Monday, June 30, 2008

The Tale of Frankenfoot and Trigger Finger

Ah, the wonders of the strange going-ons in one’s pregnant body. As I approach the third trimester (HOLY TOLEDO!) I’m having some, um, interesting issues. Occasionally I’ll glance down at my feet and it appears that they have been stolen and replaced by Fred Flinstone’s. They are, shall we say, large, frighteningly large. A little feet elevation and more water usually does the trick - but I am unable to wear about 99% of my shoes. Which is why I became obsessed with Crocs - thinking that those were the answer. I bought a pair of Mary Jane like Crocs (my husband banned me from looking at the traditional style) that I wore around work for awhile - but I began to feel ridiculous (Does everyone know that I am wearing plastic garden shoes right now? With a suit? Did she just look at me weirdly? She’s wondering why I’m wearing these to work! I just know it.) So I moved onto a larger, wide size shoe from a cheapy shoe store instead. I occasionally grow out of those, too. I finally broke down and bought some super expensive, super comfy flip flops which work most of the time. In addition to Frankenfoot, I now spend my nights with a wrist splint strapped tightly to my right hand because my fingers go numb constantly throughout the night - and it takes a very, very long time to revive them and occasionally, the numbness returns just after I’m convinced it’s gone. This does not bode well for restful sleep (I did however, recently dream that I professed my love to that actor from Entourage - all while very, very pregnant. Sadly, he did not return the sentiment. Dream-me was quite crushed, and had to walk away in shame). Most recently I awoke with a new issue, the pinky finger on my left hand appears to have come out of joint, but doesn’t remain that way after I’ve gotten up and waddled around the apartment for a spell. The first time I found it quite disturbing. I’ve since learned (courtesy of “Doctor Google) that it’s called, “Trigger Finger” and may be pregnancy related (apparently not only do my feet swell, but my tendons swell as well (and nerves compress) - hence, the trigger issue and the numbness - which may be pregnancy-related carpal tunnel). Now I wear a wrist splint and a finger brace. I know! Sexy! When I told me doc all of my recent woes, he said, “Yep, and it’s just going to get worse.” Grand. The good news is, however, supposedly this will all go away once the babe makes his grand entrance.

On the other hand, I’m actually beginning to see my BELLY MOVE when the baby does. It’s amazing. I thoroughly enjoy knowing his routine - he’s super busy in the mornings (I think he might be constructing a house, or maybe playing cards in there) and then he’s super busy again around 8 PM. Although I realize he's likely following my routine (sleeping when I'm busy, busy when I'm not) I enjoy thinking that he's a morning person, like his father.

Thank you all for your great suggestions on names - several of those names lost their favor once we tried them out with the Husband's last name. Although he denies it, he has a very difficult last name to work with. A lot of names rhyme with his last name - and not in a good way. However, we will be hyphenating the bambino’s last name (shocking! Call the national guard! How could we! It’ll be SO long! How will he survive?) so that could soften the blow somewhat, but it’s unlikely. Still, though, the Husband is set on a name, and has even begun calling him that name - while I’m still on the fence about it.

I’m very, very excited to have the third trimester near - it’s truly amazing. I’m constantly amazed. And although I complain about my most recent issues, they are really so very minor. And so very worth it.

8 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I am so glad that you are almost to the third trimester!

I'm sorry that you are getting such side effects. I know it is worth it for the end result, but it would be nicer if you didn't have to suffer.

Jess said...

You're getting there!!

I hear you on the joint issues. Though not to ALARM you, but Ethan is 7 months old and I still have some minor issues. I KNOW. But I do!

It'll get a LOT LOT better though, once the baby comes. Honest.

Keep on keeping on!

megan said...

if you have questions or just need to vent about the pregnancy carpal tunnel -- i'm your girl. mine had me on medical leave a month and a half before i was supposed to start my mat leave. your doc is right -- it can get bad, but it clears up after the baby comes!

christina(apronstrings) said...

i am so exicted for you! i love watching my belly move too. it's so funny. and believe me, it gets even more alien-esque. though i love every minute.
a$$vice re:name-if you are concerend about length (which honestly, to me isn't a big deal! people get so freaked out, eh?) anywho-our little one will have both of our last names, but no hypen. my last name will be more like a second middle name. it will make their lives so,.much.easier, because they will just have one leagal last name for test forms etc.
i am so glad that you are here!

Ali said...

Nope, not concerned about the length. The parentheses were meant to simulate other people's reactions. Bring on the mad punctuation! We're all for it! The more names the better!

Kate said...

Congrats on the third tri! You're almost there girl and I couldn't be happier for you!!!

Magpie said...

sweet post - glad things are going well, although i don't envy you the shoe problems!

Wordgirl said...

Yikes to the discomfort but YEA to entering the third trimester!

My nephew, by the way, has three parents -- two mommies and my brother -- and so he will have

Hebrew first name, Irish Surname for Middle (my brother's last name), Hyphenated last name reflecting his moms' Israeli & waspy heritage

That's a mouthful. :)