Friday, February 15, 2008

1st Scan

Scan showed a gestational sac and it is measuring appropriately. Doctor Superman thinks the spotting is from an irritation of the vaginal wall as there was no detection of a problem internally. I'm a little perplexed as to why there was only a gestational sac and no yolk or fetal pole but the doc did not seem concerned. Of course, I'm worried. I have another scan in a week. He made three seperate illustrations: 1) with only the gestational sac, 2) with the sac and yolk sac and 3) with the sac, yolk sac and fetal pole. He indicated that this is generally the progression. If we still don't see anything at the next scan, that is likely problematic. In my last pregnancy that made it this far, we saw a heartbeat. Again, worried.

The husband cried like a baby.

I've never been so thrilled to have to make a trip to the in-laws.

Thank you for all your kind comments.

I'll be holding my breath all week . . .

(I'm considered approximately 5 weeks 6 days).

20 comments:

christina(apronstrings) said...

sweet pea it is WAAY to early to see much. Most of the time no hb until 7 weeks. Remember your doc knows more than you and if she isn't worried then there is a lot of hope. REs are more likely to tell you bad news if they think there is any indication that this isn't going to work.
my sac measured small and my re pretty much said I that things didn't look good. I am almost 11 weeks.
Just think .....right now there is a baby growing inside of u. Its just too small to see. Hang in there. This is all such great news. xoxo

Carey said...

I am not sure how far along you are exactly, but early on, all you see is a sac... but I know that feeling of 'wanting to see everything on that first u/s'... I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that your u/s next week gives you what you are looking for!!

Also... depending on the angle of the u/s you can't see things. For example, I never saw a yolk sac with one of mine... but it was just the angle. Something else to keep in mind.

Glad you got some good news!! Enjoy it!!!!

Magpie said...

So glad to hear this. Continued good luck.

megan said...

i'm so glad to hear this. i'm going to stick with the hope offered by your doc's lack of concern...how far along are you?

Kate said...

It's pretty early yet to see anything. But I know you are worried, and I don't mean to dismiss it. It never ends. Worry never ends.

Hang in there, baby (this is meant for both you and the little bean). Praying that there will be a flicker on the next scan.

Ms. Planner said...

Soooo glad to hear this news. I know it is hard, but trust Doc Superman that he knows his u/sound machine and when it will be able to reveal the important milestones early in pregnancy.

Also, my RE cautioned that 50% of all women experience bleeding in the first tri. He said if this happens to rest with your feet up and drink a lot of water. However, hope you never have to experience this again. Have a great trip!

Jess said...

5w6d...that's way early to see much!!

I hope this is the begining of IT for you, dear. This is good news so far, so I'm excited.

Hoping for you hard!! What a rollercoaster you're on.

Wordgirl said...

I was THRILLED to read this update.

Pulling for you here in the frozen tundra of the upper midwest.


Pam

seattlegal said...

I have to echo what others have said in that it is a bit early yet, so don't give up hope. I know this is easier said than done. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

5wks 6days is early to see a heartbeat. My RE wouldn't consider doing an ultrasound until I was 7 weeks just so I wouldn't have to go thru this. Off course this doesn't make it any easier or the worry any less. Bleeding is awful when pg I did this until about 11wks. With my last there was a spot that just bled.
Best of luck
Shannij

Carrie said...

I'm so pleased to hear everything is looking ok and your Dr is happy. It is horrible to go for a scan and feel that you didn't see what you needed to give you peace. Unfortunately when you've been through what you have then there will always be anxiety.
I hope this week speeds past and your news continues to be good xx

Anonymous said...

I don't usually comment here, but I just felt the need to point out that I did not, in fact, cry "like a baby". I believe I cried like a person who was braced for bad news and then got positive news instead. Sheesh. You're going to get people questioning my masculinity.

And, just so everyone knows, the lack of a heartbeat this early isn't all that horribly worrisome, I don't believe, to either of us. But I think we'd both have felt better if we could have gotten a glimpse of yolk.

Thanks so much for your good thoughts, everyone.

The Husband

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know when I was 5 weeks 4 days, all that could be seen was the gestational sack. When I went back at 6 weeks 3 days, there was a heartbeat! So don't worry at all! It is way too early yet!

Andie said...

Really good news Alice, so relieved and happy for you although I know you will still be worried. As everyone else said, it's probably still too early to see much, so hang in there! I am sure Doc Superman knows what he is doing.

Ali said...

"And, just so everyone knows, the lack of a heartbeat this early isn't all that horribly worrisome, I don't believe, to either of us."

The Husband is wrong on that one - I am worried!

Thank you again for all your comments.

Antropóloga said...

AWESOME. See, on your last post, I was TOTALLY going to tell you all about my bright read bleeding (at six weeks along) that was so bad the doctor had me get an ultrasound just to see if I would need a D & C to complete the miscarriage--and that ended up being my almost 18-month-old. But I didn't want to say anything in case you weren't as lucky. BUT YOU ARE!!!

Geohde said...

It all depends on exactly how far along you are, a few days can make quite a difference at this gestation.

Good luck at your next scan,

J

Thalia said...

Alice I'll keep hoping very hard that the bleeding stops and that next week you get to see a nicely sized fetal pole with a heartbeat. It's a tough wait, i wish there was something to do to make it easier.

Conner's Way Photography said...

Try this out for size - I went in for a scan at 5.5 weeks and saw nothing - no sac or anything. 2 days later they did a repeat scan (for a different issue - Ive had severe OHSS) they took another look at my uterus and still nothing - at this point I was 5 weeks 6 days - still no sac visible.

They told me it was an ectopic and I would have to get methotrexate.

My husband and I decided to wait over the wknd and get a final repeat u/s on Monday.

I went in on Monday - devestated and the u/s revelaed not only a sac, but a glorious little beating heart.

I am now 7.5 weeks and my last u/s meausred right on target - so who knows what happened.

Hang in there!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that your bleeding was just "vaginal irritation" (but sorry that you have, um, vaginal irritation).

It is very, very early so don't lose hope. Everything at this point is so very, very small that it can be hard to detect anything on ultrasound. My RE doesn't even want to see you until week 7 for an u/s because until that point, there are all sorts of "normals."

Of course you are worried. You are a professional worrier, with good reason. Life has taught you to worry. The trick is to not let your fear control you.