I received a "C" in civil procedure my first semester in law school. I was devastated. A "C". A rotten stinkin' "C". I cried. I wailed. I met with the professor. I couldn't believe it was happening. I seriously thought about dropping out of law school.
After four miscarriages, statistically, there is still a seventy percent chance of conceiving a healthy pregnancy even without any medical intervention. Whether or not I will fall on the good side of this statistic only time will tell. For now, I'm taking that "C" grade and running.
The Husband and I met with Dr. Wonderful this week. His first comment was something along the lines of:
"Well, I'm sure you want to know what happened. What you had is generally referred to as a chemical pregnancy. A chemical pregnancy is . . ."
The husband almost throttled him, "The woman KNOWS what a chemical pregnancy is - you've never seen a quick draw Dr. Google like this one over here in your life."
Except for the MTHFR, all tests have been negative. And my particular gene mutation (MTHFR A1298C) is more rare (read super special!) and therefore less is known about it and its possible effects on miscarriage. He was treating it the same as he does with his MTHFR C677T patients - extra folic acid. Heparin? Baby aspirin? I've been taking baby aspirin on my own since January. He doesn't use heparin or baby aspirin in his practice. His thoughts about MTHFR is that the problem is the absorption of the folic acid and that an anticoagulant does not address the problem. Of course I've read plenty of blogs out there where heparin is added to the mix and bingo! real live baby.
Running? I asked if running could have posed any risk. I asked this primarily because it is something that I can control, not because I want to blame myself (although that is perhaps inevitable). I ran a much greater distance than normal very early on in the pregnancy. He indicated that it COULD have caused problems but we'll never know. Dr. Wonderful said that he's loathe to recommend someone not exercise considering how many patients he's trying to get TO exercise but I can try walking next time and see what happens.
The plan? He recommends Clomid. Four cycles. Unfortunately I've read A Few Good Eggs which outlines the horror that is Clomid. Moody? Check. Fat? Check. Completely around the bend psycho? Check. Needless to say, I'm not exactly looking forward to it. His theory is that 1) if I have an ovulation problem that has gone undetected this can help and 2) the more eggs out there the more chances I have of a successful pregnancy.
If that proves unsuccessful we can move on to injectibles with IUI or without (he used the term, "relations" - as in we can have "relations" on injectibles versus an IUI - he really did).
If no dice there? We can move onto IVF with PGD. He explained the inherent problems with PGD in my case and that it's not exactly a perfect system. He also discussed a patient who just went through her second IVF with PGD - both times ALL of the embryos had problems. In that case, he said, the jig is up - it's time to move on.
His thoughts are that the recurrent miscarriages are likely due to "genetic problems" despite the fact that no chromosomal abnormalities were found in the husband, myself or the one embryo that was tested back in September. Further, he seems to believe that it's like the lottery, the more tickets you buy, i.e., pregnancies you conceive, the better chances you have of winning.
Wonderful.
My biggest fear was to walk in and hear, "Donor eggs." I can't tell you how many blogs I scoured subsequent to this latest miscarriage and read of donor eggs. Adoption. Living childless. It scared the absolute daylights out of me. Then a few days later I found several blogs of women who had had multiple miscarriages and are now about to give birth. No explanation. No found causes for all those losses. Many with little or no medical intervention. They just had to endure sometimes five, sometimes more than ten, miscarriages. Dr. Wonderful indicated that a lot of this has to do with patience--some people become "impatient" and need to move on to medical intervention even though with time it could and the chances are likely, that it will happen naturally. I'm not sure I would characterize not wanting to go through any more miscarriages as "impatience" but hey, what do I know?
Clomid, here I come.
P.S. Thank you all so much for all your comments. We haven't told many people about this latest miscarriage and the kind thoughts from all of you was incredibly helpful and made us feel a little less alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
My family doc SWEARS that she didn't have any side effects from Clomid - except for pregnancy her first cycle. Hoping that's the only side effect for you as well!
Clomid, while not fun in my experience, is also doable. In my experience. lol.
HOWEVER, I do remember the husband after the second clomid cycle basically picking up the phone and dialing the RE (I was seeing just the OB at the time) FOR ME. haha
A plan is good. A plan is forward motion. Good, good. Lots of luck and prayers for you.
(Would your doc be willing to add heprin at the first positive pregnancy test? Just as a precaution?)
I second Jess in asking if you could do Heparin as a precautionary measure if you get pregnant again. I would also consider the baby aspirin. It is at such a low dose that it poses no known risks and when used with I.R.P.L. seems to statistically improve birth outcomes.
My RE is a miscarriage specialist and he puts all his RPL patients on BA and Heparin because it, in his words, "covers all the bases." I have not tested positive for anything except a low thyroid, and he is still keeping me on his "anti-miscarriage regimen." When I found out something that costs under $10 could help me stay pregnant, I was first angry (why didn't I know about this after the first miscarriage?) and then excited that this may actually help.
I know a lot of people who had only very minor side effects from Clomid. I think it is a very individual experience.
I think it's great you have a plan in place. A plan always helps me get through the harder times of IF. Clomid made me super bitchy & I got hot flashes. But it's only for a few days!! Hopefully it will be the magic ticket for you!
Clomid has made me extremely moody - as in mood swings every few minutes. Not to mention that my already impatient self is even more impatient. (My husband claims I do not "suffer fools" - and I suffer them less while taking clomid.) DH actually claimed I was easier to live with on the injectibles!
Pax,
MLO
Well, you call him Dr. Wonderful, so that's a good sign. I did the baby aspirin and had a good outcome. I highly doubt the exercise has any bad effects, but I understand being cautious. I'm so glad you have a plan. I doubt you'll have to go down all the steps of it, though!
I only refer to my current doc as "Dr. Wonderful" because I am hoping that he will BE "Dr. Wonderful." Actually, I just couldn't think of anything better . . .
First of all, I want to say I am so very sorry for your losses.
On both of my Clomid cycles (50mg and 100mg), the only side effect I had was hot flashes. They were fairly tame and I am very thankful that is all I've had to deal with.
I am having some b/w done on me for blood clotting/APS so I am wondering about the Heparin myself. My RE didn't seem to think it had much proven success but I've seen so many success stories that I am willing to try anything if it means I'll keep a baby.
I am glad you have a plan to move forward. I hope you can get some more answers and that this path leads to a sticky bean.
Sending lots of love and luck your way!
Well, that's good that you have a plan.
Does the doc think that the chemicals are related to the other, later m/c's? And, is there a relation btwn these and the IF?
Personally, I think the IUI's would be a waste of $$...at least that's the conclusion that k and i came to...the sperm and egg are there...its what happens later that is the problem.
It kind of weirds me out that he isn't insisting that you take heparin....unless he knows of a good reason NOT to...and i think he would have said it?? Heparin has done great things with people with either MTHFR mutation.
I dunno, I guess I am biased and think that all hellish situations should end as soon as possible...and that the vast majority of m/c's are genetic in nature...either poor egg quality, or poor embryo quality(which I am ninety percent sure is our deal)....and that PGD w/IVF is the way to go. I know PGD has some issues(Although my RE and a lot of studies think that is hogwash) but getting PG with a nonviable embryo has some issues too.
Whatever
I didn't have any side effects from clomid.
hey, i hit publish without proofreading...i meant to say "whatver the deal, i am sorry that you're going through this AGAIN. It is horrible and must feel unending."
I'm not thrilled with the whole "no heparin" thing either. His reasoning behind it is that there has been no actual proof that it helps - and that the problem isn't the thrombophilia, it's the inability to properly absorb the folic acid. I also don't get the Clomid thing or the IUI thing. I think that the only thing that will likely work in my case is IVF with PGD--which has its problems as well-since they can't detect every genetic problem, and none have been found--it's possible that they will place "good" embryos that are actually not good--hence I will miscarry again. I think he does think the chemicals and the other miscarriages are related--why they are now occuring at different times I do find puzzling . . . I think the bottom line is that there are still so many mysteries in regards to pregnancy . . .
Post a Comment