Blood work today. Yes, on a Sunday. At the only place in all of New York City and Long Island, apparently, that is open on a Sunday. Anyway, it was off to Chinatown yet again (I was there in early January - in order to detect the rapidly falling level of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone in my system and its equally low achieving buddy, progesterone). In case you were wondering, and I know you were, I had the following tests administered (most of the info about the tests is from my old friend Dr. Google (disclaimer: I am absolutely not a doctor, nor a medical professional, haven't a clue, really, about any of it). I do have to say, though, that my doc (the good doctor!) did explain most of this to me at the time he wrote the prescription:
Antithrombin III activity: used to detect a problem with blood clotting and to help diagnose an antithrombin deficiency.
Blood type/Rh/antibody screen: I am Rh negative - if you really must know. Apparently I have some antibodies in my blood that they want to check out. I have had to get the lovely RhoGam shot every time I've miscarried (that would be three, three shots).
MTHFR: "5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase,": the MTHFR gene is responsible for absorbing folate. There are two different theories about the MTHFR gene and miscarriage: one theory claims that MTHFR increases the risk of blood clots, which could block nutrients from reaching the placenta. The other theory is that MTHFR causes lower folate and B-vitamin levels, which increase the risk of miscarriages. It's still pretty controversial I think. There haven't been extensive tests (i.e., medical trials) about this. My doc did say, however, that many of his "habitual aborters" have done well by increasing folate, but as he said, that's merely a "testimonial" - not really very scientific--but he believes in it.
Factor VIII: this is Von Willebrand factor--an essential blood clotting factor. It's possible that I actually clot more slowly than normal--which would be the opposite, essentially, to thrombophilia, as that is what one test showed back in August. My doc is testing this at my insistence--there isn't really a known connection to Von Willebrand's and miscarriage--but it is a hemophilia type bleeding disorder and hemophiliacs DO have problems with miscarriage. The problem with Von Willebrand's is that it is very difficult to diagnose--the Von Willebrand factor can increase because you are anxious, which generally speaking, people are when they are having blood draws. In addition, the Von Willebrand factor generally increases while pregnant which would decrease the chance, obviously, of it creating problems.
Estradiol: The estradiol test is used to help evaluate ovarian reserve. In combination with the Day 3 FSH test, the estradiol test can help to determine the quantity and quality of the eggs. By the way, my 41 year old sister offered her eggs to me. Sweet, really. But does the woman realize that she's SEVEN years OLDER than I am? I know, I know, she's so fertile she just LOOKS at her husband and well, you've heard this before from your sister, friend, mother, etc.
FSH (follicle stimulating hormone): again, this is used to detect ovarian reserve.
Homycysteine: I believe that this goes along with the MTHFR test. Anyway, this test is used to determine if a patient has a B12 or folate deficiency. The homocysteine concentration may be elevated in patients before B12 and folate tests are abnormal.
LH (Luteinizing hormone): used to test menstrual irregularities and to aid in the diagnosis of pituitary disorders or diseases involving the ovaries.
Prolactin: this tests pituitary function, low levels of pituitary function result in lowered levels of thyroid or adrenal hormones. Probably used to test for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
Testosterone: I believe they are looking at polycystic ovary syndrome with this test as well. Aack. Testosterone? Aaack. I don't really have any of the classic symptoms (except for weight gain) for PCOS. But really, weight gain? Having a miscarriage or two or three and then reaching for another cookie does not a disease make. I will be surprised if I am diagnosed with PCOS. But, one never knows.
TSH: (thyroid stimulating hormone): used to determine whether the thyroid gland is functioning properly. By the way, an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can cause symptoms such as weight gain, tiredness, dry skin, constipation, a feeling of being too cold, or frequent menstrual periods. Hmmmm. That is interesting.
Wow, there really isn't much more exciting than going on and on about blood work is there? Can you imagine what I'll be like when I'm 90?
Also, as we were on the platform waiting for the train (that would be the L) we saw Jody Foster walking by, fast. She was wearing (because I KNOW you want to know) all black and a rather jaunty pair of green plastic glasses. Her hair was quite blonde and tousled. Very hip was she. And in a SERIOUS hurry. I mean, that woman walks fast. She looked kind of worried. Or annoyed. Perhaps it was because we were staring at her.
After the big soiree at the lab, we walked on over to an incredible baby store. Because, you know, I enjoy self-torture. Such a beautiful store. Bu and the Duck. They have the most amazing dresses and little hats. And handmade toys. Sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment