The Husband was out early this morning and caught a glimpse of quite a few teens in fancy party dresses and tuxedos coming out of the pancake house on the corner. I wish I had been there. Something about that time--so early in the morning, after all the festivities are over, that transition between dependence and independence, childhood and adulthood. My nephew just sent this photo of himself and his girlfriend (what? his girlfriend?) from her prom. Although I must mention that they appear to be at some kind of drinking establishment. That sister of mine, her lax attitude about child rearing never ceases to amaze me. On second glance, perhaps that isn't alcohol in the background. I really love that he's wearing a hat. And that she's so slouchy.
I asked a friend of mine to my prom (all those many years ago). He graduated the year before. It was a secret crush. We'd been friends for sometime. I tried to play it cool. I broke up with someone just prior and it was the perfect opportunity to go with him as "friends." If only I could find that photo of us. He's standing about a foot taller than me, Lurch-like with one arm around what appears to be his child bride. I am wearing a shiny, satin dress with an astoundingly enormous green bow. This dress, however, pales in comparison to the blue and white pouf skirt monstrosity I wore a few months earlier. In addition to all the green loveliness, I somehow managed to pour an entire trough of burgundy makeup on my lips, eyes and cheeks. We went with another couple. She looks like Paulina Poriskova. I was convinced that my friend was in love with her. How could he not be? Her date also wore a hat. Much like my nephew. We went for dinner at the Siamese Cat. It may be the first time I ever ate Thai food. Ever the romantic, it was there that my friend spent several moments staring at my chest. I'm sure you won't be surprised then to learn that with this kind of romantic prowess, he managed to make me his for several years thereafter. Yes, several. Somehow, we remain friends. His first child (I've mentioned before), a boy, is due in October. Ah, youth. How has it slipped me by?



4 comments:
Wow, prom. Haven't thought about that in so long! I went to several. My senior year prom totally sucked. My date was a friend who was very religious (and, if you ask me, gay) and we didn't go anywhere after prom--no parties, no nothing--because he wanted to get up early for church. Also, he made me split an entree with him, and didn't let me get dessert! Boy was I mad. Now it all seems so silly.
Love that pic of your nephew. They look so insouciant.
I thoroughly disturb myself when I realize that my senior prom was 17 years ago. Not that I would ever want to be a teenager but it does leave me feeling old....
they look so cute. i was nowhere near that hip at prom. or spring flings. or now.
and we are getting old. *sigh*
I just discovered your blog, and it is very, very good!
Every time I see MTHFR I think: "MoTHer F&uckeR." Now that I know what it really, is that seems very appropriate, yes?
Post a Comment