Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Don't Call Me, I'll Call You

I believe I must have neglected to inform the universe that I did not, not at this point in time, care to lose my cell phone. Not now. Not ever.

I just hung up from a very lengthy, somewhat unpleasant conversation with a rich, very rich inhabitant of a very rich, very famous area in New York when I made a mad dash out my office door and into my car. Just prior, I was grabbing files, throwing shoes in my bag, trying to prepare to work in the other office on Thursday. Afterwards, I ran to my car, threw off my sweater (careful to do so with the utmost decorum lest I horrify the co-workers), jumped into my car and sped off. When I heard a clunk. And thought, "Hmm, where's my cell phone?" I drove into the nearest parking lot, hopped out of the car and looked feverishly about. Inside. Outside. In cracks. Under seats (disgusting, truly, truly disgusting). Drove BACK to work, looked in the office, called the phone, looked back in the car and . . . nothing. Somehow I managed to lose my cell phone between the time it took to walk from my office door to my car door.

I hate losing things. I HATE. Losing. Things.

I have become, I think, increasingly disorganized lately as my job has become increasingly more complicated. Which is exactly the opposite of how things should be going. As I feel my way around this new aspect to my job - which entails going to an entirely new building and dealing with completely new issues, new people and oh, yes, did I mention, new law, I am finding myself disorganized, confused, scattered. Earlier today it took me several moments to realize that the cop I was talking to was calling about a completely different case than I thought he was. This wouldn't be so unusual, I suppose, except that he is NOT the officer assigned to that particular case and he works for a completely different department.

Anyway. Have I mentioned I hate losing things? I lose things with some frequency. But only for moments. Minutes really. They always turn up.

I believe, actually, that my cell phone decided to make its escape today. It had been looking a little tired lately. In need of a vacation. Some time apart. It took its opportunity the moment I drove into that parking lot searching for it. It somehow managed to leap out and fall beneath my car and out of view just after I opened the car door.

Cell phone? If you are out there. Come back to me. I hate to lose you.

2 comments:

Ms. Planner said...

Time to get yourself a sweet new little cell phone. And expense it! Hope things calm down for you soon.

Cheers, Ms. Planner

JJ said...

Ohhh no! I agree-time to get a very sweet new phone=) Hope your day gets better=)