Thursday, May 17, 2007

My Husband is Funnier than Your Husband

When I began doing the mad on-line research in the oh-so-naive-this-can't-be-happening-to-us phase, I was completely confused, perplexed and at times annoyed with all the "BD" and "POAS" and the "AF." What were these people talking about? And why can't they spell anything out? Uh-huh, so BD and POAS 13 DPO and BFP! Wha??? And where is this magical infertility dictionary anyway? And now? I think I probably know about 33% of the acronyms going (I figured out POAS about three days ago) and am just generally too lazy or still too annoyed to go hunting for the answers (ah, laziness, how I love you.) So, I couldn't resist giving my husband (who reads infertility blogs all of the time! ALL OF THE TIME, I TELL YOU!) The Quiz. I think he actually fared better than I did.

His response:

"I don't have to guess. I know all of these.

AF - Adult Fetus
IVF - In Vino Fabulo (Latin for, "You get better when you're allowed to drink, preggo.")
IUI - I'm Using It (Heard by husbands who were hoping to get some time in the bathroom, but hadn't counted on their wife having strange new needs)
IF - I'm Fat (frequently heard from hormonal--but lovely--pregnant ladies)
PG - Proctor & Gamble (Duh!)
TTC - Time Temperature and Custard (New--and not incredibly popular--cable channel which informs viewers of the time and the temperature and also shows well-lit photos of custard.
DPO - Don't Put Out (Best way to avoid pregnancy)
BFP - Best Friends Porever (Phrase found in many dyslexic's yearbooks)
BFN - Best Friends Narwhale (Phrase found in many schizophrenic's yearbooks)
POAS - Post Office Asshole Stamp (New stamp celebrating the 1000th anniversary
of Assholes)
OPT - Other Person's Tushie (Polite version of a 90s hip-hop classic)
CD - Compact Disc (c'mon people, this one's not that hard)
BD - Bette Davis (Pregnant women often have a craving for All About Eve)
DH - Die Hard (Their husbands usually sneak into the bedroom and watch this instead)
ET - Extra Taco (You're eating for two now)
ER - Extra Raisinets (Seriously, you're eating for two)"

Ah, I lurve that man.

Today is my last day at this fine age. My father, who's birthday was just this past Wednesday, spent it climbing Machu Pichu (with my mother). At age seventy. Pretty rockin'.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. :) Sic my husband was barely cognizant we were goin through infertility, I know he wouldn't know those.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was typed while holding someone wiggly.

JJ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TOO!--thanks so much for the wish and stopping in! I am definitely adding my sister-in-birthday to my blogroll if thats ok with you=)
Have a great day--love your hubbys answers by the way!

Ms. Planner said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to hoping you find much peace, joy and fulfillment in your next year. You so deserve it.

Loved your post! Guys. They can be so lovably clueless sometimes. I know, "BD" - bleech. Never did understand why people can't just write out the word "sex" or at least tweak it so that some pervert doesn't end up googling your blog!

xoxo, Ms. Planner

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to feel like you ladies are picking on us IF husbands a wee bit.

That's OK, we deserve it most likely. I'm not sure why, but let's say it's because of that one time when we did that one thing.

Why do we do such stupid things?

Ali said...

Oh no. This wasn't meant to pick on The Husband--but to celebrate him. Seriously. I think he's fabulous.

Bast said...

happy birthday. hope today was full of your sweet funny husband.

Coffeegrljapan said...

This list is awesome! very funny -thanks for sharing.

Watson said...

That is hilarious!

Seriously, you should circulate that widely on the message board circuit as a new underground movement that rebels against the whole baby dust crowd!

And...happy birthday!!

:-)

Country Chick said...

Oh no! missed your birthday! HOpe you had a great day anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE LINK TO THE ABBREVIATIONS - I am hopeless and still fail to understand so much and it winds me up!
Make this the year you get back into the running. It is so great for keeping a perspective.
Very funny husband. Brilliant logic.

Ms. Planner said...

Hope you had a great birthday.

Portland. But I heart Seattle. Seattle is much more Gore-Tex-jacket-with-black-f-me-boots. In Portland, it's Danskos.

I agree w/ Watson. You should circulate the list. I effing hate baby dust. Although I admit I did send some to Watson when she asked for so much baby dust that it would come out of her corn hole :)

Anonymous said...

I actually just quizzed my husband on those and he got maybe a third.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

My husband would definitely make up responses to those questions, too. He has NO idea, even about the terms that make up the acronyms.

Have a happy bithday!

Glory Laine said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. Your hubby is funny. It's good to laugh while waiting. Lots of luck. I'll check back to see how things are going.