So, we attended our first birthing class. And I'm so glad that I signed up for it. The instructor seems super savvy, funny and no-nonsense. She also has a pretty impressive background. We were instructed to go around the room and introduce ourselves, give three personal facts and mention an issue we'd like to see addressed during the course. In general, I find talking about myself, even for a minute, excruciating (I turn bright red when my boss even mentions that I'm pregnant - weird, yes. Explainable? No.). After my quick, quick intro, wherein I restrained myself from saying that my big concern was finding out how I could pay someone else to go through the birthing process for me, it was The Husband's turn. The Husband indicated that he wanted to understand everything about the process so that he could remain calm. The next guy to speak said, "Unlike The Husband over there, this is about HER and I want to do what I can to make HER calm, it's not about ME." Wow. What a douche. I don't think The Husband meant he wanted to remain calm so he could stay down in the lounge and read, but, uh, OK. Anyway, there was an extremely adorable pregnant there who said that she was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was extremely fearful of needles and of having an overly large baby. I know that it is manageable, but when you read about what can occur to your child if you have it, it is a very scary thing. This pregnant seemed so fragile and so scared. The instructor did say that it's become much more common and it's much more easily managed than in years past, which I hope was a comfort. I wanted to get a chance to talk to her a little bit about the needle thing, but there wasn't time. I too have had a bit of an issue with needles - but the Lovenox thing has become so routine that it almost bores me. I find it annoying because I am sick of doing it, not because I am so incredibly fearful of the pain (not, mind you, that I embrace the pain - sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't - I'd rather, of course, that it never hurt). And a few times, when I've pushed around on my stomach to find an area free from tenderness, The Kid has pushed back. How wild is that?
Oh, and I got the call this afternoon: gestational diabetes? Negative.
Huzzah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I'm sooo glad that your class went well (except for Captain I'm-a-Douche-Head) and that your GD was negative!
YAY!
what a moron. just more proof that idiots abound.
i am so happy that you passed your GD test, and they generally test iron at the same time-so you must have passed that too.
congrats.
how lucky are we to be here, eh?
Ha, I think I would have snorted with laughter if someone said that to us. Because it is just so ridiculous.
Besides that, it sounds like a great class.
glad to hear about the gd. i hope the class is useful, other participants notwithstanding.
I've been wondering about the GD results - so happy that all is well. I've got my GD screening on Friday and am nervous.
Douche indeed. What a prick - it always amazes me what people will say to other people. Ick. Glad the class helpful, though.
Post a Comment