Thursday, April 03, 2008

Waterlogged

We had the nuchal translucency scan yesterday. We saw him (I'm using "him", for now), the Bean, wiggling about, moving every which way, flipping over constantly and refusing to uncross his legs. We were on such a high afterwards that we went and bought a ridiculously overpriced tiny, tiny vintage superheroes t-shirt from a chi chi Upper East Side baby clothing boutique. It's very the husband. Then we proceeded to call a ton of friends to tell them about my status, including the friends who told us they were pregnant very early on and are a week behind us. They actually didn't seem overly enthused. Which kind of saddened me - but who knows? Perhaps they are mad we didn't tell them sooner and are feeling ridiculous for their constant apologies for being pregnant around us (we kept telling them, no need, no need). Anyway, although initially I was feeling fantastic about it all, it didn't take long for the usual worry and anxiety to return. I won't know for another week how the scan went. And I know that it's only a statistical analysis (blood test for markers, age of the mother, size of the nuchal fold) and isn't a diagnostic test - but it still scares me. The ultrasound tech did say that from her point of view, at least, it looked OK - and there is a nasal bone, which is also a good sign. I didn't know, at the time, what size of the nuchal fold is considered normal so wasn't able to make my own mad Google analysis (perhaps this is good?). However, I did take it upon myself to find a thousand photos of other nuchal translucency scans to compare ours - I kept thinking, I don't know, it looks too big, it looks too big. The husband did point out that as far as he knew I had not trained in ultrasound technology, but what does he know? Anyway, we'll know in a week.

Next dilemma - when do I tell the boss?

Also, is there some horribly evil person behind the whole, "drink five hundred gallons of water an hour before your ultrasound"? It was excruciating.

7 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Yes, I am pretty sure that the drinking that much water thing is a horrible joke. Because, seriously, we have to drink that much water and then they jab at it with a probe?

Newt said...

Oh, I'm so glad the bean looks active and busy in there! Sending hopes that the numbers come back perfect.

The superhero t-shirt sounds adorable.

Kate said...

I was too scared to even have the nuchal ultrasound and quad test so I completely understand your anxiety. Don't beat yourself up too much about the worry and anxiety that you feel - you'll pretty much feel that way until your little sweet bundle comes out healthy. Which he/she most definitely will. I guess the thought that made me feel better considering that I had lost three early on was just trusting my body that it knew what to do and it was hanging on to this one because it was healthy. And she was and is. You're doing great!

Magpie said...

I told my boss at 8 weeks, when I returned, giddy, from the first OB visit.

But I didn't tell anyone else in the office until like 22-23 weeks.

Jess said...

Yeah. The drinking. That's awful. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. I always felt like I was going to actually wet myself.

Never did, though. Maybe that's comforting?

I'll be thinking of you and hoping all comes back fine.

christina(apronstrings) said...

i never have a full bladder at an u/s. did the doc telll you to do that? there is a 99.9%chance that the results are going to make you feel nothing but great.
phew! 12 weeks.

Geohde said...

3mm is usually considered the upper limit of normal, but it really is a combination of NT and serum markers.

J