Tuesday, April 01, 2008

"Labor of Love"

As someone who has gone through infertility treatments and worked with no less than three reproductive endocrinologists, I am saddened but by no means shocked by this man's treatment by reproductive specialists, his family and friends. The author, a transgendered female to male sought treatment to become pregnant because his wife had a hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I in no way mean to imply that the situation isn't mind-bending, it is, and it raises a lot of questions, but no one deserves to be told that it's a good thing that their pregnancy didn't survive because it was likely "a monster." Long ago I read the book, She's Not There and one of my favorite all time books is Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Both explore sexual and gender identity and both protagonists lived a life of incredible anguish because they felt as though they were born to the wrong bodies. If he had done this so that a sibling could have had a child would the perception have been different? How many of us in the infertility community have been shunned in some way because we should "just adopt"? The author of the article, Thomas Beatie, writes, ". . . our situation ultimately will ask everyone to embrace the gamut of human possibility and to define for themselves what is normal." It's an intriguing story. Read about it here.

3 comments:

Jess said...

I was surprised that they couldn't find a clinic to work with them. In fact, I was unsure that they LOOKED hard enough as there's a lot of lesbians at our clinic and I couldn't see the difference AND our clinic is in the conservative midwest.

HOWEVER when I mentioned it to my huband, he added the excellent point that PROBABLY no clinic wanted the high publicity that would inevitably come from such a case. Publicity that could easily cost you a lot of customers. Form a business standpoint, I can sympathize with that.

However, I liked what he said in the article...that wanting a child is neither male or female...it's human.

Ms. Planner said...

Wow, I hope this wasn't my RE who turned away this couple.

Magpie said...

Wow. That was fascinating. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.