Monday, March 24, 2008

Out of the Closet

I called my parents yesterday and while talking to my pops realized that they'll actually be in California next week (the magic day when I was going to spill the beans - it actually says, "Spill the beans" on my calendar at work). I tried to slyly ask if they'd have their cell phones with them but they didn't seem to know and were quite confused as to why I was asking. So, I hung up, met up with the husband who was playing frisbee and made our way to the Met to see, "Depth of Field." I told the husband that I thought either we should tell both the parental units next Wednesday, wait until the nuchal transulcency scan on the 2nd or tell them right then - because all these dates were starting to seem arbitrary. I also felt that if the nuchal scan isn't great, I'm really going to need their support. The husband, who has been chomping at the bit to tell his parentals since day one, jumped at the chance to do so yesterday. So we did. His parents who have been desperate for grandchildren for about ten years (at least) and only have one now who isn't even a year old yet, and my parents, who have four grandchildren and seemed only concerned about the fact that we were unhappy, reacted quite differently. The husband's parents were very, very reserved. My father was so thrilled he got a little emotional. It was great. I think the husband's parents are scared and cautious and don't know what to do with such information. I think my sister was somewhat annoyed that I hadn't told her earlier - but she doesn't understand how superstitions and paranoia come into play in times like these. In fact, telling them all this early is a little suspect, although also, a relief.

The post about my father was taken down because I wasn't sure if I really wanted it out there - denial is a great coping mechanism and I plan on using it for all its worth for the time being. However, I decided it's weird to post it and then take it down. So , there it is.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Congrats on spilling the beans!!

Newt said...

Hey, that's great! Another milestone down.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the NT scan goes beautifully and you get all good news.

S said...

Congrats on sharing the news!

Magpie said...

Continued good luck!!

Ms. Planner said...

That's terrific about spilling the beans. I am sure you just created a bright spot in your dad's life right now. Hoping your NT scan goes well.

tobacco brunette said...

Congrats on spreading the news. Hoping for a wonderful NT scan.

Geohde said...

I find spilling the beans hard, even though my belly largely does it for me, these days.

One thing I wish from first time around was that I had told my family sooner. I was waiting until the NT scan and it was devestating news- so then I had to tell my family about the conception and eventual death of a baby they'd not heard about before.

Summary = you're right, you will need the support should the unthinkable happen (which it won't, I have high hopes you get a brilliant result), so why not tell?

J