Sunday, September 30, 2007

Zippo

So, the old bod isn't really responding to the Clomid. My ovaries look virtually the same as on Tuesday. My twice done blood work (evil, evil!) shows little change. My lining is a tad thicker (from 5 to 7?) and my doc's partner in crime (whom I've never met before, Dr. Bow Tie) said that there were three "baby follicles." Somehow, for some reason, I liked the term, "baby follicles." It sounds so nice. Cozy even. I suppose, I shouldn't have (or want) baby follicles. I should have (and want) big honkin' enormous, mature, hairy, motorcycle-driving follicles. Bring on the beer guzzling follicles, please!

Anyway, I started wondering if this poor response was another clue in the puzzle of my infertility. Do I actually have a luteal phase defect? Does this explain the miscarriages? Am I on the road to no longer producing eggs? WHAT'S HAPPENING?

I did a mad Dr. Google consult and found this:

"It is important to determine whether you have responded to the treatment (i.e. ovulated) by measuring blood progesterone levels around day 21 to 23 of the treatment cycle or performing an ultrasound scan. The starting dose of Clomid should only be increased if their is no response after the second cycle of treatment because of those women who will respond to 50
mg dose, only two thirds will do so in the first cycle. If the Clomid drug treatment is successful, ovulation tends to occur about a week after the last pill. "

Despite the fact that "there" is misspelled, I am taking some comfort in the above. My last pill was on Monday. I did a scan and blood work on Tuesday. Again on Friday (blood work) and Saturday (scan). According to the above, I shouldn't expect to ovulate until at least Monday. From what I'm getting from the docs, I should have had more of a response by now. The fertility monitor, however, finally showed, "high fertility" today. In a normal cycle, I would have ovulated yesterday.

I hope things start to whip up soon. Or at the very least, that it is not that unusual to show little response on the first round of Clomid. I really don't want to up the dosage anytime soon.

Any experience with this?

The husband and I spent the day kayaking down the Peconic River, eating pizza and playing with our dogs at the beach with some friends. We came home to two jazz musicians, a saxophone player and a trumpet player, practicing on the sidewalk on the opposite side of our street (they were about to go play in a club nearby). The sound was great. It was a nice (albeit exhausting) day.

2 comments:

Wordgirl said...

It's strange -- being relatively new to the 'treatment' part of the infertility journey I feel like I'm getting a little taste of everything. My doctor's did blood work and all a year before I started actual treatment -- and then when I did start the cd5-9 clomid at 100 mg -- they didn't really do any additional bloodwork -- which was all fine and great until they figured out my progesterone was way low -- too late - which really just made that first cycle a total waste. I remember on the first cycle of clomid wondering why I didn't have a stronger response -- I had a smallish follicle on each ovary -- only one of which matured -- and then they upped my dosage to 150mg -- and my body really didn't respond any differently.

I'm currently on follistim and I can't see any discernable difference with my ovulation pattern either -- I'm exactly where you are -- wtf -- is this a sign of my aging eggs....I can only go with the CD3 bloodwork which indicates a fine ovarian reserve --

what I do know is that supposedly the direct injections of FSH are supposed to allow for the maturation of more 'mature' follicles -- whatever the fuck that means.

I'm not sure this was any help to you at all...but I understand where you are.


Pam

Geohde said...

All I can share is my experience with Clomid.

I have PCOS and ovulate pretty damn lazily left to my own devices, say about CD 30 (personal best) to CD never.

Clomid (only 12.5 mg! PCO ovaries can be very sensitive and go nuts when stimulated apparently, I had a similar issue with my current IVF cycle) had me ovulate around CD 17-21. I often had only 1 10 mm follicle at my CD 13 scan, lining about 6-7 (which is fine, it will thicken with inc estrogen). Follicles usually grow 1-2mm/day so I hope that maths helps.

I had three overenthusiastic follicles at 25 mg, so MAN it's a shame about the male factor in our case :)

J