Friday, February 16, 2007

The Cape

My husband and I are going to the Cape this weekend. It dawned on me, recently, after an annoyed hotelkeep phoned to inquire about our estimated time of arrival (he asked for the information ages ago), that I booked a bed and breakfast. I did not mean to book a bed and breakfast. I unwittingly, apparently, reserved a bed and breakfast when I was directed there by another hotel in the area. I hate bed and breakfasts. I am not "good B&B people". I do not like having someone flit around asking me about myself. I do not like the prying inquiries of a stranger that I will likely never meet again (I suppose I can nip that in the bud by mentioning my infertility woes). I do not like being told that I cannot make phone calls or play cards after 9 pm. But nothing beats the hostel/B&B in Amsterdam. No sex. Men and women, even if married, were not allowed to sleep in the same room. I slept in a bunk next to a young woman who wore full make-up and a black merry widow to bed. She would lay down, wrestle with the blankets, snooze for a moment, and then leap out of bed, run to the common room, come back, lay down, and start all over again. This went on all night long. Anyway, we are apparently going to a very gay friendly area on the Cape. I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully no one in a black merry widow will be wandering the halls at night. But one never knows.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Have a great time. A B&B in a gay-friendly area may actually be more fun than your typical B&B. I stayed in a B&B catered to gay couples on the Delaware shore (also booked by mistake), and it was a blast.

JW said...

Ooooh, the B&B's in Amsterdam that don't allow men & women to share rooms... I remember those! Shudder!

Well I hope you have fun, and I hope the B&B isn't too bad after all.