Thursday, December 06, 2007

Baby W

While I was laid up post-surgery, my mother and I perused the mountain of adoption agency packets the husband and I gathered at the adoption conference in Jersey (in New Jersey! We drove to New Jersey - this is ridiculously perceived as a wild adventure for those who live in NYC and see no reason to go beyond its borders). One agency's packet contained a photo book of children waiting for adoption, many with special needs. One child, an infant, Baby W, was missing part of one ear. He had no other medical needs and his hearing seemed to be fine. My mother and I stared at this baby with the wild shock of black hair for a long time. Eventually, I e-mailed the agency and requested more information. This week, the coordinator e-mailed that I should be receiving his packet shortly. Today, however, I got another e-mail that he's been adopted.

I am thrilled for this family, of course. Mostly. There was a split moment, however, when I felt incredibly sad (and jealous). I'd already imagined meeting him for the first time. I'd thought about what milestones he may be missing if he's in an institution (which in this case, he may not be). I hoped he was getting as much one on one care as possible. I saw us going and getting him. I saw myself reviewing his packet of medical information with the famous Manhattan adoption doctor with the blue rimmed glasses. I imagined the husband videotaping our first meeting and he and I crying and Baby W just staring into our eyes, mostly confused. I saw his little hands. And I saw myself kissing his little face. I wondered how he would feel about being from a different race and culture than his adoptive parents. I'd thought about him searching for his birth parents when he was older. I'd thought about the two of us sitting down and writing letters together to send to his birth mother through his agency. And including his brilliant drawings.

I'd thought all of these things without even realizing it.

It should be noted that we have not applied with this agency - we have not applied with any agency. We're still in the very beginning stages of all of this - and I was getting completely, totally, utterly carried away, ridiculously, for just a few moments. And I recognize my ability to over-dramatize at these times - because, I suppose, everything is so rife with emotion when it comes to building your family in a non-traditional way (i.e., through infertility treatments or adoption or third party reproduction).

I'm beginning to get a small taste, however, that I may be leaving one area of uncertainty for another. Although thankfully, adoption, unlike infertility, guarantees you will be a parent in the end. But really, it's still going to be a damn roller coaster.

8 comments:

Geohde said...

Really hoping that you get your goal, whatever way it happens to be. You're so right about the rollercoaster aspect.

J

Hope said...

I'm not sure what to say, So I will leave you with a bunch of hugs. You are in my thoughts.

Carrie said...

You're spot on with the swapping one roller coaster for another. It would be incredibly hard. However, no one wants to do IF treatment, it's a means to an end. I suppose all the agency stuff is the same. A necessary evil.
Still, a big leap to take. Hope you find the strength and peace to help you decide next steps x

Antropóloga said...

Very exciting either way! You're going to be a mom!

Jess said...

It really will be a roller coaster. BUT it's ALL a roller coaster, and in the end, roller coasters are usually fun.

Hopefully your ride is short, though. Adoption is wonderful. :)

christina(apronstrings) said...

i had a 'baby w' experience. while i was sad that it didn't work out, it did give me a sense of peace. i learned that we will get a baby. we will hold a sweet little one in our arms. at some point. and that, that is a good thought.

Ms. Planner said...

For a long time I stalked adoption blogs and cried every time when I saw the new parents united with their own W's. I think you are so right about swapping one ride for another, but I have no doubt that when the ride finally stops you will have the exhilirated feeling - and the child that was meant for you your arms.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and I can relate to everything you have gone thru. I have gone thru 3 miscarriages, have pcos, tried clomed, femara and nothing happened. We eventually starting injections along with IUI and had gotten pregnant each time to end up having miscarriages. We did chromosome tests and everything came back negative. I eventually found out that I have MFTHR (both) and will start taking lovenox if and once I become pregnant. My RE is against lovenox (says it's controversial and doesn't really help) but my obgyn wants me to do these injections which I'm in agreement. We are on our last month of injections and if nothing works then I'll do surgery for my septum (small opening) hen maybe do IVF in April. So, that's where I'm at. I feel all alone in this process and it's been hard relating to other friends who keep having children like it's going out of style. Thanks for posting about your experiences... it has helped knowing there are other people going thru the same process.

I would like to hear about adoption and how and where to proceed. We are starting to look into this and what it all entails. It's another unknown and I'm not sure if I'm ready for another 4 years of disappointments and finically burdensome.