Sunday, November 11, 2007

Becoming a Parent

I've been drafting a post for sometime now - but I'm having trouble expressing it all with any brevity.

I used to scour blogs for hours looking for women who had miscarried multiple times and went on to have successful pregnancies. Many of them have. However, for the most part, they had chromosomal issues in one or more of the previous pregnancies. Or they had Factor V Leiden and went on heparin. Or they had a correctable issue with their uterus. The other women continued to miscarry until they stopped trying to get pregnant with their own eggs or moved on to adoption. I feared these women. I didn't want to be them. I didn't want to give up and adopt. I didn't want the consolation prize.

My mind, however, is changing on that front. I read Dan Savage's The Kid (highly recommend) and am currently reading A Love Like No Other: Stories from Adoptive Parents. The husband and I have attended no less then three events about adoption in the past week. We are feeling good. We are feeling positive. It doesn't feel like a consolation prize at all. It feels like a godsend.

We're going to work with Doctor Superman, but we've given ourselves a deadline. At the deadline, we're marching over to the adoption agency and submitting the application.

We like the certainty of international adoption. In many countries, it's a fairly streamlined system. The wait is known, the travel time is known, the approximate age-range is known. At this point, we're leaning towards Korea - which has some of the best foster and medical care for their children who are waiting for adoption. We also have a good chance of knowing something about our son's (mostly boys from Korea) history - which is important to us. The husband and I are committed to attending Korean cultural events with our child, of sending him to culture camps during the summer, of trying to recognize, appreciate, keep a sense of where he came from. But we recognize our inability to completely do so. On that front, we've been joking around about our teenage son coming home with his friends and being mortified because his geeky very white parents are sitting around the house in traditional Korean garb, eating traditional Korean food and speaking to each other in Korean (learned from our intensive Korean language course at the New School, of course). As many internationally adopted kids are - he may have little interest in his birth country until he reaches adulthood. But we want those options out there for him.

It's the first time I've felt truly excited and happy when thinking about our future as parents in the past three years. For the first time, I've realized that with time, I will parent a child. And it feels fantastic.

9 comments:

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

first---i have zero doubt that you can have a bio child. it may take longer, it may take IVF but it can and will happen if that's what you want.
re: sqeeeeee!!!! you know, of course, i am happy for you two. and selfishly b/c i'd love to share the journey with one of my favorite bloggers.
my assive re:adoption...is to try to adopt where you know who the birthparents are...at least the birth mom. i KNOW it's a scary thought and can be hard with international adoption. but your child will want to know who they look like and so that everytime they are around korean people they won't be wondering "is that my mom?" and hiring an investigator later is $$$$.
the 1st thing, and my favortie thing re:infertility vs. the adoption process....everything is so good. it's all good news. it's all doable...fingerprints, etc. doors just keep opening for us.
you know that you can always email me re:questions. i may have told you...but i have a chat room on wwwdotcafemomdotcom called'the longest wait..waiting to adopt" there's also an international adoption room too.

GL! *if* this is what you decide to do.
p.s. i got the comforter new from a pottery barn store on ebay.

Antropóloga said...

It's so fantastic to have these options! It's all very exciting. You'll be a great mother either way!

Geohde said...

Gorgeous post. Timing's eerily apt for me too, hubby and I are starting to think down the same path...

J

Magpie said...

Good luck - your excitement is palpable. I hope that Dr. Superman does the trick, but I like the backup plane.

Jess said...

onward and upward...you are so right, you WILL be parents!

Ms. Planner said...

When we came to the conclusion that we would be entirely okay with the adoption path, it was such a relief. Sure there were days where I wondered if this would be the right thing, but we never wavered in our belief that eventually we would become parents in this most amazing way if life took us that way.

I am wishing you luck with your research and your timetable. Lord knows, you gotta love having a plan.

Country Chick said...

Good to hear you sound excited. I think it's a release - I wish you the very best of luck and look forward to following your journey if you do go this direction.

Wordgirl said...

YEA!

I love this post.

We would love to adopt from Korea -- G. and I need to be married for two more years...but then, that is our first choice.

I'm really excited for you!

Pam

neko and the crocodile said...

Whatever path you end up taking you are right you will parent... It's not easy accepting the twisty road we get dealt, but in the end that trip does prove to be worth every step and then some.