I have to take stock of my own life. And begin to move forward. I will always mourn what I have lost. I will never be who I used to be. I have to remember that we have a good life, my husband and I. I love my husband. That is more than so many have.
But I still, I still miss the person that I used to be. And I miss the little ones who I have carried, for such a short time, and what they could have been.
Don't you know that I'll be around to guide you
Through your weakest moments to leave them behind you
Returning nightmares only shadows
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright for now
Crosses all over, heavy on your shoulders
The sirens inside you waiting to step forward
Disturbing silence darkens your sight
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright for now
Crosses all over the boulevard
Crosses all over the boulevard
Crosses all over the boulevard
Crosses all over the boulevard
The streets outside your window overflooded
People staring, they know you've been broken
Repeatedly reminded by the looks on their faces
Ignore them tonight and you'll be alright
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright
Through your weakest moments to leave them behind you
Returning nightmares only shadows
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright for now
Crosses all over, heavy on your shoulders
The sirens inside you waiting to step forward
Disturbing silence darkens your sight
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright for now
Crosses all over the boulevard
Crosses all over the boulevard
Crosses all over the boulevard
Crosses all over the boulevard
The streets outside your window overflooded
People staring, they know you've been broken
Repeatedly reminded by the looks on their faces
Ignore them tonight and you'll be alright
We'll cast some light and you'll be alright
--Crosses by Jose Gonzales
I saw the hematologist today. I really believed he would take one look at my medical records and order heparin, immediately. It was maybe my last hope, really. But no one seems to think that heparin is necessary. Not him, not my RE. Just try, try again. "Eventually", my sister says, the doctors say, others say, "just try, try, try again, eventually it will, has to, work out." I'm just not so sure. If someone could say you will have x number of miscarriages and on x pregnancy you will have a child - maybe then, maybe then I could do it. I could muster it up. I could soldier on. But no one can know that. Until they figure out what is wrong, I believe it will just continue - indefinitely.
I'm the friend that you could see adopting. You wouldn't be surprised, you would almost expect it. But here's the reality, at this point, right now, I don't want to adopt. I resent it. I resent that that's what I have to do to parent a child. I don't even know myself anymore. Who is this person? I think adopting is a great thing. I'm just not there.
I'm completely obsessed with myself and my own fertility. I'm a nuisance to the doctors who treat me. I trust none of them. I second guess everything they say. I do my own research. I decide based upon an article here, a study there, a blogger's experience, how I should be treated. It's practically all I discuss with my husband.
I looked at some donor profiles. I found a lovely girl. A college student who loves to write. She's interested in activism. She is short with brown hair and light eyes. She wants a family who cares about the arts. She's looking for a family who is open-minded. I liked her. And when I realized this, I woke my husband up with my crying.
I won't know what she was like at age three. I won't know if she used to draw for hours on construction paper while her mother did the laundry. I won't know if she used to tell the same joke over and over again. I won't know if she had a dog named Rascal or if she got jam stuck in her sleeves. I won't know about the time she slammed her finger in the car door or when she had her first kiss. I won't know any of these things.
I'll only have what I read on a few pieces of paper. Does she wrinkle her nose when she laughs? Does she salt all of her food? Does she always put her hair behind her ears? Does she listen to comedy albums over and over again? Does she spend her Saturdays at art museums?
I have two more appointments with two different REs. We will see what they have to say. And then, I need to reevaluate. I need to be thankful for what we have. I need to stop feeling like a failure. I need to stop feeling like I've failed my husband. I need to put this behind me.



10 comments:
I hear you.
If I knew FOR SURE that after X years with Y treatments and Z disasters that I would manage a livebirth, I'd do it.
Gladly.
But there ARE no certainties, and it hurts.
J
i am so sorry. so much of this is unfaie. what? all of this is unfair! i'm glad that you're honest about your feelings. resenting having to parent in a complicated way is normal.
one of the reasons that i don't want to do IVF...is that i am afraid of it working and not bringing home a live baby. and all my m/c's have been insanely early...so i'm afraid of the first.
wishing you a sense of peace and wisdom as you mourn and make some decisions over the next few months.
This made my cry, Alice. I don't have anything to say other than I am sorry and offer you a virtual hug.
I'm so sorry everything isn't as easy as you deserve.
I'm sorry.
I don't see WHY they won't give you heprin. I mean WHY NOT??
It's all so unfair, Christina is right. It sucks, sucks, sucks.
There's nothing wrong with not being ready for adoption. There's nothing wrong with reevaluating. There's nothing wrong with hurting.
I hope you find your right path soon. And peace. Thinking of you, for sure.
beautiful post, Ali.
sending you many hugs. i wish i could send you answers and certainties as well...
thinking of you...
You are a smart, educated woman -- I think you should march into an RE's office and DEMAND that they take your concerns seriously.
My RE has a "might help, probably won't hurt" philosophy. Baby aspirin? Yep. Progesterone? Yep. Lovenox? Yep. It is ultimately MY decision, though, not his, whether to do all of this. If a doctor could give me empirical evidence to the contrary, I would certainly listen; however, the idea that an RE simply doesn't want to do something without presenting clear empirical evidence as to why is not acceptable.
You are not drug seeking or crazy. You are trying to figure out what they f*ck is going on. Since you are the once who had the miscarriages, you should also get to directly participate in developing your treatment plan.
Tell them you have a law degree, bring in all your research, and do not take any of the RE-as-God BS attitude.
(Why yes, I did completely give up caffeine and I am a little edgy. However can you tell?)
Oh Ali. I am so sad to hear you this way. I hate the way IF just takes and takes from the most wonderful women. I get what you mean about not being ready for adoption and, in a little way, resenting that kind of path. Same thing with the DE. In the end, the women in this community each have such a unique path to motherhood. Uncovering that path is a tough, sometimes lonely, go but I am convinced you are strong enough to do it.
The problem is they don't really have any clue why this happens. So they don't have a clue how to prevent it either. So we poor buggers just have to go through loss after loss. Your post made me cry too, though I seem to be rather emotional just at the moment. But I know just how you feel.
When I had my last miscarriage just a month or so ago I KNEW it would happen, and NOTHING would stop it. That's how I am ready for adopting. I know that is my only option for parenthood.
I wish you the very best of luck.
BTW - have you tried www.miscarriageclinic.co.uk? He is one of the UK's most eminent m/c doctors - he is most certainly an advocate of heparin. Maybe a read of his treatments will give you the confidence to demand it?
Oh Alice.
I'm sorry and I hope you get some answers. Have you had the visits to the other REs? Switching clinics worked for me...maybe a little magical thinking there, but then again, maybe not.
There's a female hematologist at Cornell who works pretty closely with the Cornell IVF docs...I could dig up her name if you'd like (though you may know it already).
And the mailbox in Union Square? It's on the east side of the park - between 15th and 16th I think.
Post a Comment